Take advantage of this video craze by creating a video to promote your book—keeping in mind the short attention span of those who will see your video. The completion rate for watching a 30-second video is close to 90 percent, but it drops to barely more than 50 percent if the video is two minutes.
You’ll only have six or seven frames in a 30-second video. Be sure to feature a specific benefit your book offers and encourage viewers to buy.
Here’s what you need to start:
• Your book cover (graphic files should be jpg or png formats)
• Your author photo
• An interesting visual element from your book— maybe an interior photo or a graphic that is used throughout
• Call to action (where to buy your book)
• Short statement of why someone would read this book
• A descriptive comment or benefit
Next, go to Animoto.com and set up an account. You’ll need an account even if you are using their free service. With the free option, you will get a url link after clicking “produce” to finalize your video. This link can be posted on your website and on your social media networks. NOTE: if you want to download the actual video file to post in your YouTube channel, you’ll need to upgrade to one of the paid service options.
1. Click the “Create” button on the top right.
2. This takes you to the window where you choose a style for your video. (You can also change your style at any time before you produce your video.)
3. A window will appear with a button that says “Purchase video” and below that is a live link that says “or make a 30-second video for free.” Click on the free video link. This will take you to a new window.
4. On the far left is a vertical bar with links for Change Style, Add Pics & Vids, Add Text.
5. Click “Add Pics” to upload your graphic elements.
6. Click “Add Text” to type in descriptions, blurbs, and the website where your book can be purchased. (With 40 characters available in the title and 50 characters in the subtitle of each text box, you have VERY limited character counts—adjust your wording to fit.)
7. Graphics and text will show as boxes in the horizontal bar to the right as you add them. You can click and drag the boxes to arrange the order of images and text.
8. At the top of the horizontal bar, is a musical note symbol and the name of a song. Click on the song name to choose a different song from the Animoto music library.
9. Once your items are arranged, click the “preview video” in the lower left corner.
10. After watching the preview, click the live link that says “or continue editing” if you want to revise something before you produce. When you are happy with the order and content of your video, click the button that says “Skip & Produce.”
11. After you click the button to produce, a window will appear with links to share your video. You’ll also receive an email with share info as well.
12. Promote your video and ask your contacts to share with their friends.
If you can’t fit your key elements into the 30-second format, the Plus level on Animoto is only $30 for the year which allows you to create longer videos. With this upgrade level, you can also download your completed video files.
If you want to make changes after you have clicked the produce button, you need to go to the “my videos” link at the top of the home page. Click on the gray circle at the bottom right of your video
and choose “edit a copy.” This will give you a duplicate file that can now be edited.
I’ll show you mine if you show me yours!
Here is a link to my 30-second trailer for The 28-Day Thought Diet and one for Publishing as a
Marketing Strategy. Create your own book video and tag me when you post your video on Facebook or Twitter.
Vanessa Lowry is a marketing consultant, graphic designer, author, radio host and speaker. She leverages nearly 30 years of design and marketing expertise to support book authors who are self publishing. Her books, including The 28-Day Thought Diet and Publishing as a Marketing Strategy are available at www.connect4leverage.com.
@VanessaLowry or Facebook.com/Vanessa.Lowry
photo by patrimonio designs