Readers are the same. They love free offers. Here are 5 ways to tantalize your customers and make them hungry for more.
1. Amazon Giveaway. Amazon’s KDP Select Program lets you promote your eBook for free for 90 days. When you’re first starting out, spreading the word can be more important than making sales. Giving away free copies can often inspire greater sales. Authors have been known to give away a few hundred copies and then go on to sell several thousand.
2. Goodreads Giveaway. Goodreads, a social site like Facebook for readers, has a similar program. List your book and the number of copies to give away. Readers bid on your book and you choose the winners. Then the winners are asked to read your book and provide a review. Simple and powerful promotion.
3. Free chapter. Share your book’s first chapter on your website. If your readers like what they read, they’ll be motivated to want to read more and buy your book. (Note: this suggestion only applies to self-published authors. If you’re not self-published, you don’t have the right to post pieces of your book for the public to read.)
4. Audio or Video. Both audio and video are great people attractors. Pictures, sound, and action draw people in. Create a 30-second animated book trailer on Animoto for free. (See a sample here). Or describe what you offer (your services, the reason you wrote your book) in a short audio clip with a service like Free Conference Call.
5. Teleclass or Webinar. Take your audio or video several steps further with a teleclass or webinar. Give your audience a real taste of who you are and what you offer. Don’t give away everything in your book. Highlight one or two jewels. Then tell them where to buy your book. You could even offer a discount or free shipping as an added enticement.
Whichever freebie (or freebies) you choose, remember to collect customer information. Create an opt-in box on your website for their names and emails and add people to your mailing list. Then keep them in the loop with news about book signings, updates, speaking engagements, the next book coming out. Turn your customers into fans. They’ll love you for it!
Photo by Anatoly Tiplyashin, PhotoXpress